Finally, a judge who understands the U.S. Constitution, the Law, and Common Sense and how they work together.
I do not have the words to describe what I felt reading this excerpt from Judge McHaney’s ruling. Hopefully, someday our courts will all have live media access, and we could hear this decision in the judge’s own voice complete with any accompanying emphasis and emotions. For now, we will have to accept the transcript of Judge McHaney’s ruling yesterday against Governor Pritzker.
Here is the meat of his decision, Page 75, beginning at line 17.
“Since the inception of this insanity, the following regulations, rules or consequences have occurred:”
- I won’t get COVID if I get an abortion, but I will get COVID if I get a colonoscopy.
- Selling pot is essential, but selling goods and services at a family-owned business is not.
- Pot wasn’t even legal, and pot dispensaries didn’t even exist in this state until five months ago, and, in those five months, they have become essential. Still, a family-owned business in existence for five generations is not.
- A family of six can pile in their car and drive to Carlyle Lake without contracting COVID but, if they all get in the same boat, they will.
- We are told that kids rarely contract the virus, and sunlight kills it, but summer youth programs, sports programs are canceled.
- Four people can drive to the golf course and not get COVID but, if they play in a foursome, they will.
- If I go to Walmart, I won’t get COVID but, if I go to church, I will.
- Murderers are released from custody, while small business owners are threatened with arrest if they have the audacity to attempt to feed their families.
These are just a few of the examples of rules, regulations, and consequences that are arbitrary, capricious, and completely devoid of anything even remotely approaching common sense. State’s attorneys in this state, county sheriffs, mayors, city councils and county boards have openly and publicly defied these orders followed by threats to withhold funding and revocation of necessary licenses and certifications unless you obey.
“Our economy is shut down because of a flu virus with a 98 percent-plus survival rate. Doctors and experts say different things weekly. The defendant cites models in his opposition. The only thing experts will agree on is that all models are wrong and some are useful. The Centers for Disease Control now says the virus is not easily spread on surfaces.”
“The defendant in this case orders you to stay home and pronounces that, if you leave the state, you are putting people in danger, but his family members traveled to Florida and Wisconsin because he deems such travel essential. One initial rationale why the rules don’t apply to him is that his family farm had animals that needed fed. Try selling that argument to farmers who have had to slaughter their herds because of disruption in the supply chain.”
“When laws do not apply to those who make them, people are not being governed, they are being ruled. Make no mistake, these executive orders are not laws. They are royal decrees. Illinois citizens are not being governed, they are being ruled. The last time I checked Illinois citizens are also Americans and Americans don’t get ruled. The last time a monarch tried to rule Americans, a shot was fired that was heard around the world. That day led to the birth of a nation consensually governed based upon a document which ensures that on this day in this, any American courtroom tyrannical despotism will always lose and liberty, freedom and the constitution will always win.”
A copy of the transcript can be downloaded at this link .